- 1 small seedless watermelon
- 1 cup mixed edible flowers (such as nasturtiums, pansies, and chive blossoms)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted and sliced Kalamata olives
- 4-6 slices of prosciutto (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Prepare the Watermelon:
- Begin by slicing off the top and bottom of the watermelon, creating a stable base.
- Carefully remove the rind by following the contour of the watermelon with a sharp knife. Ensure all the green and white parts are removed.
- Cut the watermelon into bite-sized cubes or use a melon baller to create uniform watermelon balls. Place them in a large serving bowl.
2. Gather and Wash the Edible Flowers:
- Select a variety of edible flowers. Rinse them gently under cold running water to remove any dirt or insects.
- Carefully pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
3. Add the Edible Flowers:
- Sprinkle the washed and dried edible flowers over the watermelon in the serving bowl. These flowers not only add a pop of color but also a unique flavor profile to the salad.
4. Incorporate the Salty Elements:
- Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese and Kalamata olives over the watermelon and edible flowers. These ingredients will provide a delightful salty contrast.
5. Prosciutto (Optional):
- If you choose to include prosciutto in your salad, drape the slices over the salad for a salty, savory touch.
6. Fresh Mint Leaves:
- Tear or chop the fresh mint leaves and scatter them over the salad. Mint adds a refreshing, herbaceous note to the dish.
7. Prepare the Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. This sweet and tangy dressing will enhance the overall flavor of the salad.
8. Drizzle the Dressing:
- Drizzle the prepared dressing over the salad, ensuring that it coats the watermelon, edible flowers, and other ingredients evenly.
9. Gently Toss and Serve:
- Carefully toss the salad to ensure that all the elements are well coated with the dressing. Be gentle to avoid crushing the watermelon cubes.
- Taste a small bite and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
10. Serve and Enjoy:
- Once the salad is perfectly dressed, it’s ready to serve. Plate it on individual dishes or present it in the serving bowl.
- Garnish with a few extra edible flowers for an elegant finishing touch.
This Sweet and Salty Watermelon Salad with Edible Flowers is a true masterpiece that combines sweet, savory, and visually stunning elements. It’s perfect for warm-weather gatherings, brunches, or as a refreshing side dish for any occasion. Enjoy the explosion of flavors and the beauty of this unique culinary creation.