Slow cookers are so handy, especially during the cooler months. We love creating different dishes that are easy to make and taste amazing and our Tomato and Lentil Soup is a winner.
The most important thing to remember is that you always make a recipe your own. Tinker with it a bit, add more bacon, take something out and double your favourite vegie. It’s got to be 100% amazing and sometimes that means you need to look at a recipe and do a little tinkering.
This recipe base has come from one I had in an old cookbook. Not all the ingredients worked for our family, so I’ve used the key flavours as a base and set about creating a new recipe.
The spices in this soup work so well together, and as my husband says, add bacon and you’ve won me over. This image has loaded bacon because my family were super hungry this night.
If you haven’t invested in a slow cooker, I highly recommend them. They’re great for weeknight meals that can be put on in the morning before work and be ready at dinner time. I love how versatile they are for different meals as well. I use mine for roasts, stews, soups, meatballs and so much more.
This soup could also be cooked on the stove top in a big pot on low heat, but if you leave it all day in a slow cooker, the flavour is amazing. Enjoy.
Tomato and Lentil Soup (Slow Cooker)
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1/2 cup carrot (diced)
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- You can add up to 1/2 cup of coconut cream or fresh cream to make it creamier.
- 4-6 slices of bacon (diced)
- Add onion and garlic to a pan with oil and saute until soft and fragrant.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add all the other ingredients and stir through, except the bacon.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Towards the end, cook bacon in a pan until crispy and set aside. Stir in the cream if using.
- Serve with bacon sprinkled on top.