You’ll be growing, harvesting, cooking and eating microgreens in no time. This Microgreens Kit has everything you need to get started.
When you shout out ‘Dinners ready!’ and witness a rush to the dinner table, it generally means a family favourite has been served. In our family, pizza has this effect, and pizza seems to be popular with most children. Encouraging children to eat their vegetables can be a challenge so this healthy pizza recipe, including microgreens, will make all the difference in your household.
Imagine a vegetable that is organic, small and up to 40 times more nutrient rich and that can be easily grown by our children. Well, you have just imagined My Little Plot’s microgreens. Microgreens are little edible plants that burst with flavour. They are grown from the seeds of vegetables and herbs and My Little Plot ensures that these seeds are either heirloom, organic or open pollinated. Microgreens are older than a sprout but younger than a full-grown plant and you harvest them when they are between 3 to 6 cm tall after the first true leaves appear.
Microgreens are eaten raw, they can be sprinkled on pizza, thrown into salads or added to your spaghetti bolognese as you serve it. Children are more likely to try new foods if they have grown them themselves, so microgreens are a great way to encourage this behaviour with your family. Your children can have the pleasure of planting them, watering them, watching them grow and finally eating them! Yum!
If you haven’t grown them, now’s the time.
Head over to our group and find out how to enter out Microgreen giveaway. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1826871537630648/
Posted by Family Garden Life on Tuesday, 28 August 2018
Each My Little Plot Microgreen Kit comes with:
- 2 packets of seeds of your choice
- 2 re-usable biodegradable PLA corn starch growing trays
- Organic cocopeat growing medium (derived from the inside of the coconut husk)
- A bottle top waterer
- A laminated ‘How to Guide’
- Calico bag
- 4 wooden disc fridge magnets.
So, what do you have to do?
- First, soak your seeds for the required amount of time.
- Then put half of your bag of cocopeat in the growing tray and press it down firmly.
- Using the water spout you are provided with and water the cocopeat until it feels like a damp sponge.
- Then evenly sprinkle on your seeds.
- Place the lid on top to assist with the germination.
- Lightly water again when needed (following instructions)
To harvest, simply use your scissors to snip them at the base and then eat them! It is amazing how much flavour is packed into such a little plant.
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp pesto (we used dairy free)
- 2 cups roasted vegetables of choice
- 1 handful of cheese (optional)
- 1 handful of harvested microgreens of choice
- Harvest microgreens and set aside.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread out the tomato paste, then the pesto on top.
- Sprinkle over cheese if using.
- Bake in a hot oven 160 degrees for 15-20min.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle over your fresh microgreens.
It was a unanimous vote that this recipe has become one of our family favourites. We hope it becomes one of your family’s too.
If you are interested in growing microgreens, check out what’s available at My Little Plot. They have such an amazing range which I know you will love.