The ultimate way to make a beetroot salad is from fresh ingredients, and there is nothing better than growing beetroot in your family food garden. This recipe is a fresh, crisp and flavoursome way to enjoy a garden salad and showcase your amazing fresh produce from home.
First, let’s talk about Beetroot.
There are so many different varieties of the beetroot plant these days, and once you have grown it at home you will never look back, especially if you are buying it in tins.
You can grow beetroot all year round in most parts of Australia. Beetroot likes a bit of shade and grows quite well in containers. The faster a beetroot grows the better it tastes, so definitely use organic matter & liquid fertiliser during the early growth stage. The leaves of beetroot are also edible. You simply cutting them off and cooking them like spinach.
Beetroots grow well in a sunny spot with reasonably rich soil. Make sure your pH is correct for beetroot so add some lime if needed. They need to stay hydrated so keep the water up to them in summer.
There are some amazing varieties of beetroot now that come in a rainbow of colours from orange, golden-yellow, white and pink & white stripes.
Beetroot bulbs grow above ground and often look like they are not rooted enough but they are. Let them grow together in clumps, so if you have a punnet with a few together, then plant them all together.
Mulch well around the base to help with water retention. Once your beetroots are a good size, pull them out of the ground and bring them into your garden kitchen and whip up this amazing garden salad.
Our amazing recipe was also featured on Women’s Fitness
Absolutely amazing flavour sensation!
Posted by Family Garden Life on Wednesday, 7 March 2018
Beetroot Salad (with a citrus twist)
- 6 small beetroot (we used a combination of different beetroots)
- ¾ cup tamari almonds
- 2 oranges
- ¼ cup each of parsley, mint & basil
- ½ bunch of kale
An amazing garden salad dressing:
- ½ lemon (juiced)
- ½ orange (juiced)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ lemon (zest)
- ½ lime (zest)
- On a wet chopping board, peel and thinly slice the beetroot. If you wet your hands as well this will help reduce beetroot stain.
- Remove leaves from kale stems and chop up finely.
- Coarsely chop up the parsley, mint and basil.
- Peel and segment the oranges.
- Roughly chop your tamari almonds.
- Toss all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients until combined.
- Pour over the dressing and give it one last toss.
- Serve on its own or as a side dish.
This recipe combines a beetroot salad with an orange salad and the results are simply amazing!
Salad’s a great way to practice garden to plate recipes. Enjoy!